An Englishman in Romania
Random Observations on Moving to Romania
- Category: Romania
- Published: Sunday, 22 February 2015 19:03
- Written by Tim Walls
- Hits: 4234
OK, so I promised to keep this thing up to date. The problem with that is I find I have precious little to write... Maybe a literary career is not for me - who knew?
But, as I've been living here for all of four days now, I really feel I ought to write something. So here are some bullet points...
- The bureaucracy. Actually, not as bad as I was expecting. OK, so everything seemingly has to be stamped (and given a number) by some mysterious official before it is valid, but so far so good; this opinion may change when I apply for my residency permit...
- The broadband speeds - well, in Buc, anyway. People of England, prepare to be very jealous; I decided the 500Mb/s was overkill, so I went with only 150Mb/s. Combined with cable TV and phone service, the total cost is less than telephone line rental alone in the UK.
- Speaking of TV - Balkanika MTV. Music videos here follow a very simple formula. And what a splendid formula it is...
- Crap. I don't know what it is yet, but there's a lot of it sold in pots next to the fish in my local shop. Will I ever dare to investigate?
- Sausages. I fear I am going to miss the British banger more than anything else. On the other hand, Cremewurst for breakfast is a thing.
Most of all though, something I already knew:
- The people. As friendly as they are beautiful (which is to say, extraordinarily.)
So, that's first impressions done with. I am going to get back to the untold and near forgotten pleasure of a beer and cigarette, indoors, at the same time. Europe's smoking room is a beautiful place...